Sunday, July 1, 2012

be kind, be one of a kind

Kindness. Fruit of the Spirit, Galatians 5:22-23, we know it. 
I've been pondering on this lately especially that I do more hours at my work place, which is a care home. 
I love Jesus, I want to be like Him. 
He is my Hero, He is my Abba (Daddy), He is my best friend. 
He came to serve. 
He was hanging out with people others didn't want to have anything to do with. 
Jesus was full of love.
Jesus was kind.
Jesus went (way over) extra mile.

Because I follow Him, I strive to do the same.

I love serving people.
I love doing for them things they don't expect me to do.
I love being there when they're in need.

What shocks me is the culture we are in.

People don't get others to do nice things for them without any kind of string attached.
They don't expect it. 
Why does it take so much for someone to be nice? Why do people think that they loose something by giving away an act of kindness? If you look into the root of this, you might actually realize that by cutting yourself off from being nice to others you allow yourself self- pity and ultimately, you fall into selfishness. 
Tell me, how many times have you met a very kind, selfish person? Don't they think that others should be nice to them but they don't owe anything to anyone? Think about this. Where are you at? Do you need a change in your life? 
Personally, even tho I despise selfishness I don't always want to be nice to people, especially the ones who 'don't deserve it' (read, selfish ones). You know, change comes when you stand against wrong feelings and habits.Change in the simplest way means exchange of habits. Change comes only when you acknowledge that you need to swap something bad (like selfishness) with something good (like selflessness). 

So, after acknowledging that I need to get my acts together, I made it my goal to bless people with a kind word and strive to do something nice for them. I want to show them that there is hope.You know, I only now realized how much an act of kindness can do to you.

It is a shock. Some people are so not used to others being nice to them, that they think this act of kindness is fake or even an attack, only in a different form. Isn't this sad?

My note is a call out.

Wherever you are, whatever you do, whether it's at home, work, shop or a bus stop, there is always an occasion to give someone a smile and a nice word. Shock people. Make it your goal to say something good even when you don't feel like it.
Stand out. Agree to bless others, especially the ones who are difficult to love.
Watch the results of going an extra mile. 
You're going to feel in your life that indeed, it is better to give than to take.

Candle doesn't lose anything of its light by lightning another candle.


You were given hope for free, now go and share it. 

For free.

No comments:

Post a Comment